The new Massachusetts Equal Pay Act goes into effect on July 1, 2018. The basic concept of the statute is that you cannot pay employees differently based on gender. You are busy running your business, but don't ignore this statute. You could face lawsuits that result in high damages awards and an award of the plaintiffs' attorneys' fees and litigation costs. There are attorneys who will be actively targeting your company to find violations. The statute will be irresistible because any employee will be able to show a prima facie case if he or she is paid less than employees of another gender for comparable work. The statute is unclear on the employee's burden of proof, but it may fall to the employer to justify any discrepancies in pay.
Outside General Counsel
Join the big leagues and hire a General Counsel for your company or organization. Whether you want to impress your friends or strike fear in your enemies, you can hire me on an as-needed or continual basis to act as your outside general counsel.
I can even send letters on your letterhead, have an e-mail address with your company, and a phone extension. No one has to know that you are not paying hundreds of thousands of dollars per year for a General Counsel.
Call for a free consultation on the variable pricing for this service. Service can include the following:
- Advising on hiring and firing issues
- Noncompete issues and agreements
- Nondisclosure agreements
- Other employment issues
- Employment contracts, commissions agreements, executive comp
- Reasonable accommodation and leave issues
- Advise on leases
- Advise on liability issues and litigation avoidance
- Deal with insurers
- In some situations, defend your company and get paid by your insurer
- Referrals to insurance reps and professional
- Revise/draft/revise contracts and license agreements
- Letters to employees
- Letters to customers and competitors
- Deal with state agencies (Attorney General/MCAD/etc.)
- Manage subpoenas served on you.
- Litigation, arbitration, mediation
- Asset purchases and sales
- Minority Shareholder/Member disputes and issues
- Shareholder Agreements
- LLC Operating Agreements