SHAREHOLDER / LLC / PARTNERSHIP DISPUTES
I assist business people in their interactions with their business partners, including shareholders in close corporations, LLC members and managers, and partners in partnerships. I review, revise, negotiate and draft shareholder agreements, operating agreements, employment contracts, noncompete agreements and other types of agreements that impact these issues. I assist majority owners to deal with minority owners, including terminations. I assist minority owners who have been frozen out, terminated or otherwise treated unfairly. I assist in asset purchases and sales. I assist presidents and treasurers and CEO’s and LLC Managers in their corporate agreements to help protect them from undue liability. I can represent businesses and business people in mediation, arbitration, litigation and trial.
Examples of results I have obtained in this practice area include the following:
- Obtained a $1.4 million agreement for judgment for a minority-shareholder of a local textile company
- Obtained a $255,000 settlement for a business executive in a Wage Act claim against LLC Managers
- Obtained a judgment for a business executive of over $640,000 against the acting CEO of an LLC
- Part of a trial team that obtained a jury verdict and a seven-figure judgment for an executive who was promised equity as an inducement to go to work for a start-up technology company.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a shareholder of a now-defunct closely held corporation at a jury trial. Plaintiff brought claims for breach of contract, piercing the corporate veil, and violation of Chapter 93A.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction on behalf of a mortgage brokerage firm to enforce a noncompete agreement against a former employee in the business litigation session.
- Defeated an attempt to obtain a preliminary injunction to enforce a noncompete agreement against a former specialty product salesperson in the business litigation session.
- Negotiated a settlement for a high-level executive employee of over $1 million for breach of contract and sexual harassment claims.
- Defeated an employer’s attempt to obtain a preliminary injunction to enforce a noncompete agreement against an insurance broker in the business litigation session.
- Obtained an immediate payment of almost $100,000 for a minority shareholder who had been denied compensation by the majority shareholders.
- Negotiated a segregation of business assets for a minority shareholder who had been cheated by the majority shareholder.
- On behalf of a business owner, settled a mid-six-figure claim brought by an equipment lessor for low five-figure dollars.
- When a business client was sued on a commercial loan guaranty, with a deficiency of over $500K, settled the case at mediation for less than 1/4 of the amount due and obtained an assignment against co-guarantor. Then obtained a judgement against co-guarantor for over $500,000. Essentially turned client’s $500K obligation into a $500K potential asset.
- Obtained a judgment and assessment of damages for 50% shareholders of a close corporation who had been cheated by co-shareholders.
- Negotiated a favorable buyout of a 50% shareholder who abandoned close corporation.
- Convinced another departing 50% shareholder to abandon claims.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a local service firm sued for a variety of prevailing wage and wage violations.
CONNECT WITH ADAM
ADAM’S RECENT POSTS
Baby, It’s Cold Outside: Protecting Your Rights in LLC and Close Corporation Freeze-Outs in Massachusetts
Just like the bracing chill of a Massachusetts winter, experiencing a corporate freeze-out can feel cold and harsh. Whether you're part of a Limited Liability Company (LLC), partnership or a close corporation in Massachusetts, a thorough understanding of freeze-out...
A Business Breakup: How to Navigate a Toxic Business Partnership and Safeguard your Financial and Mental Health
Your business partnership started with a shared vision and enthusiasm, much like a marriage. But as many business owners know, partnerships can sour, making your daily operations a nightmare. If you find yourself as a minority owner or majority shareholder in an...
Sometimes bloodlines blur business lines. There's a potent blend of emotion and finance in family businesses. I've been in the trenches, witnessing brothers at odds with brothers, sons challenging fathers, and sibling rivalries taken to the extreme. A wise judge once...
Any lawyer worth their salt can dissect a noncompetition agreement and under Massachusetts law, predict its enforceability. Indeed, this forms the bedrock of sound legal advice, but it is merely the beginning. The real challenge lies in the practical and strategic...
When deciding whether to sign a separation agreement or severance agreement with your employer, consider the following issues: Consideration: What are you getting for your signature? What are you giving up? Is the trade-off worth it? Waiver of legal rights:...
GET IN TOUCH
Law Office of Adam P. Whitney265 Franklin Street, Suite 1702
Boston, MA 02110
ABOUT THE FIRM
Business Litigation and Employment Law
Outside General Counsel
Shareholder / LLC / Partnership Disputes
No attorney-client relationship is established by your use of this site. You must not send or share any confidential information about you or any legal issue without Attorney Whitney's express written permission. The content of this website may be considered advertising for legal services under the laws and rules of professional conduct. The content does not constitute legal advice. The content is for information purposes only. Legal advice cannot be provided unless you hire my firm and we perform a full review of the legal matter and the most current, applicable law. The law in your state may be different than Massachusetts, so the information in the content may be completely irrelevant if you are outside of Massachusetts.