- Obtained Summary Judgment in favor of business client against multi-million dollar claims of interference and conspiracy.
- Drafted executive employment and business contracts for a leading Hong Kong electronic components manufacturer with a local Massachusetts office.
- Handled all hiring and termination matters for a local marketing firm which hired over 500 employees nationwide in connection with a contract with one of the world’s biggest technology companies.
- Handled all employment termination issues for a landmark Boston bar which went out of business.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a landmark North End eatery sued for sexual harassment.
- Successfully defended and favorably settled a business litigation case against a Massachusetts technology contractor involving claims of breach of contract, unfair business practices, and violations of noncompetition agreements.
- Obtained a directed verdict at trial in defense of a nonpayment of commissions claim, saving the client from automatic triple damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Drafted employment and confidentiality/noncompetition agreements for executives and employees of a large, private print management company based in New Jersey.
- Obtained a judgment of $1.35 million for a commercial property owner who was defrauded out of commercial property located in Boston.
- Obtained a $1.4 million agreement for judgment for a minority-shareholder of a local textile company.
- Part of a trial team that obtained a jury verdict and a seven-figure judgment for an executive who was promised equity as an inducement to go to work for a start-up telecommunications company.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a property owner against a real estate developer seeking to enforce an Offer to Purchase.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a shareholder of a now-defunct closely held corporation at a jury trial. Plaintiff brought claims for breach of contract, piercing the corporate veil, and violation of Chapter 93A.
- Defended a developer against another developer and defeated claims of business interference seeking $3 million in damages.
- Obtained a Preliminary Injunction in favor of a church to obtain control of the church’s property, bank accounts, and identity against a rogue pastor that took control of the church, leading to ultimate victory for the true owners of the church.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction on behalf of a mortgage brokerage firm to enforce a noncompete agreement against a former employee in the business litigation session.
- Defeated an attempt to obtain a preliminary injunction to enforce a noncompete agreement against a former specialty product salesperson in the business litigation session.
- Negotiated a settlement for a high-level executive employee of over $1 million for breach of contract and sexual harassment claims.
- Defeated an employer’s attempt to obtain a preliminary injunction to enforce a noncompete agreement against an insurance broker in the business litigation session.
- Obtained an immediate payment of almost $100,000 for a minority shareholder who had been denied compensation by the majority shareholders.
- Negotiated a segregation of business assets for a minority shareholder who had been cheated by the majority shareholder.
- On behalf of a business owner, settled a mid-six-figure claim brought by an equipment lessor for low five-figure dollars.
- When a business client was sued on a commercial loan guaranty, with a deficiency of over $500K, settled the case at mediation for less than 1/4 of the amount due and obtained an assignment against co-guarantor. Then obtained a judgment against co-guarantor for over $500,000. Essentially turned client’s $500K obligation into a $500K potential asset.
- Obtained a judgment and assessment of damages for 50% shareholders of a close corporation who had been cheated by co-shareholders.
- Negotiated a favorable buyout of a 50% shareholder who abandoned close corporation.
- Convinced another departing 50% shareholder to abandon claims.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a local service firm sued for a variety of prevailing wage and wage violations.
CONNECT WITH ADAM
ADAM’S RECENT POSTS
Legal Representation for Executives, Professionals or Managers Who Have Been Terminated
Losing your job is one of the most difficult things a person can go through. As someone who has been working in employment law for over 25 years, I can tell you that this is especially true for executives, professionals, and other high-level employees. If you have...
PROTECTING YOUR PARTNERSHIP: HOW LEGAL AGREEMENTS CAN HELP. BY SUSAN DOKTOR
Other than putting your Limited Liability Company at risk, you are not really gaining anything by not filing. Whether or not you register, if your LLC does business in Massachusetts, you can still be sued in the courts of Massachusetts. You can ignore such a...
OUT OF STATE LLC’S MUST REGISTER IN MASSACHUSETTS
If you are a “foreign” Limited Liability Company, such as a Delaware LLC, you must register in Massachusetts if you do business here. See Mass. Gen. Law c.156C, §54. That’s not difficult, but it does take a bit of effort and yearly filing fees. You must also have a...
COVID-19 AND LAW PRACTICE
It’s been a crazy ride for several weeks. In some ways, the practice of law is the same. In some ways, it’s different. Sometimes it just feels different. In spite of the photo, I've been able to work in my satellite office and have been the only one here....
GET READY FOR A DIFFERENT WORLD FOR YOUR BUSINESS WHEN THE PANDEMIC IS OVER.
Private businesses will be back. It has to be. By definition, entrepreneurs are resilient and versatile. If your business is closed or running a skeleton operation, this is the time to think about how the world will be changed when things get back to “normal.” I...
GET IN TOUCH
Law Office of Adam P. Whitney265 Franklin Street, Suite 1702
Boston, MA 02110
ABOUT THE FIRM
Business Litigation and Employment Law
Outside General Counsel
Shareholder / LLC / Partnership Disputes
No attorney-client relationship is established by your use of this site. You must not send or share any confidential information about you or any legal issue without Attorney Whitney's express written permission. The content of this website may be considered advertising for legal services under the laws and rules of professional conduct. The content does not constitute legal advice. The content is for information purposes only. Legal advice cannot be provided unless you hire my firm and we perform a full review of the legal matter and the most current, applicable law. The law in your state may be different than Massachusetts, so the information in the content may be completely irrelevant if you are outside of Massachusetts.